Thursday, March 6, 2014


Today’s Thought “Wardrobe Malfunction” G. Ward

 

“Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him.” 1 Corinthians 11:14

 

We (my brother and I) were eight and nine years old. It was very few days before our last week at school and time for our bi-weekly haircut. The barber shop to which we frequented would ordinarily be trustworthy in delivering great cuts, but this day turned disastrous. The era promoted men wearing their hair longer. Black men escalated from wearing what we referred to as the “Do” or “Conk” (The conk (derived from congolene, a hair straightener gel made from lye) was a hairstyle popular among African-American men from the 1920s to the 1960s. Wikipedia) to then sport the “Natural” or “Afro.”

Our visit on this particular day was typical. It was a Saturday. The shop was busier than ever, so our parents allowed us to remain un-chaperoned. We sat anticipating all the exciting possibilities of achieving the masterful haircuts rendered to so many on that day (wanting desperately to get a “Blow-Out” (A process of taking nappy hair into greater length via tremendous heat applied) but couldn’t afford it). In those days children were without choices on how they could celebrate varied genres (hair, dress, or music). The instruction from our parents were clear and so when our turn to occupy the barber chair presented itself, all the instruction given the barber meant nothing. Both my brother and I walked out of that shop as “Leathernecks” (i.e. Marines) at the very beginning of basic training. Although my acceptance of this fiasco understood my hair would grow quickly, my brother sat in the barber chair crying profusely. He was contemplating the embarrassment he was soon to suffer from school mates. As he was crying, I was embarrassed. I demanded from my brother, “Stop all that crying!” He stopped long enough to tell me to “shut up!” I certainly didn’t want to continue my plight in disquieting this situation; especially considering we had to walk home together approximately one mile. Incidentally, the walk home was quiet.

Some years later my brother became a real “Leatherneck” (i.e. U.S. Marine) and so the haircut once hated, was soon re-visited. I believe this is why my brother cuts his own hair to date. My days at the barbershop have been over for quite some time now, but in retrospect, the covatis (cf. U. S. Marine cut) once experienced, I would appreciate now…

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment