Tuesday, April 1, 2014


Today’s Thought “12 Years A Slave: Long Enough!” G. Ward

 

“You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.” Deuteronomy 6:7

 

Where was Dr. Phil or Laura Schlessinger when our generation (The Baby Boomers, those born between 1946-1964) when we needed them? Parents of old would often treat their progeny as slaves. I recall our desire years ago; never wanting to remain indoors (particularly when the sun rose). Regardless of age (i.e. children, youth, or young adult), young people sought to play or convene outdoors. There however was a common thread unrehearsed with any of us that demanded; play as far away from home as possible. This activity’s production wasn’t suggestive of an evil agenda; it more promoted a cognizance of horrible parenting soon to invade sociability’s avenue.  God bless the child who remained close to home because, more sooner than later, a parent would yell your name (or in my case they would always forget my name, being the youngest and call my brother’s to which I had better answer). Whatever you were doing had to cease immediately. There was an unspoken code amongst children of our generation that both waited one’s return (halting the activity; particularly if you were good at it) and rarely teasing another with yo momma jokes.

I’ve never taken a scientific poll with my siblings, but I’m inclined to believe I was called on more than they were (entirely argumentative). Although a rough life for many (seemingly so), it shared a discipline desperately needed on today.  “Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well, with my soul.”

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment