Wednesday, June 26, 2013


Today’s Thought “Turn the Other Cheek” G. Ward

 

“My son, if you have become surety for your neighbor, Have given a pledge for a stranger,
 If you have been snared with the words of your mouth,
Have been caught with the words of your mouth, Do this then, my son, and deliver yourself; Since you have come into the hand of your neighbor,
Go, humble yourself, and importune your neighbor. Give no sleep to your eyes,
nor slumber to your eyelids; Deliver yourself like a gazelle from the hunter’s hand
and like a bird from the hand of the fowler.”
Proverbs 6:1-5

 

Our greatest Leader (Jesus Christ) rendered a series of antithetical reactions to society’s greater dilemmas (cf. Mt.5:39). Most are quick to share advice, but that counsel is super limited to humanity’s scope, compelling others in being more reactionary than patient (cf. Eph.4:26).

Ms. Duncan was our long time gym instructor (grades 1-8). In a day where fat kids were husky at best, she sought very excellently to keep every student in great physical shape. Every student looked forward to this class weekly. I recall one day our eighth grade class was entirely unruly, so she made the entire class sit on the bleachers the whole hour vs. ordinary gym activities. Many of us thought this denial was totally wrong, so during recess my early leadership in devilment prevailed. Her car was parked in the same spot for many years and I thought to take a pen and let the air out of one of her tires (so that it might appear flat). My leadership was so compelling that I had an audience protecting my frivolity by blocking my mischief with their bodies in such number that the parents that volunteered as chaperones would never discover such a violation.

Later that day, Ms. Duncan, along with the Principal visited our class to inquire who could have done such a heinous thing. She assured the class that no punishment would be given towards this person upon confession. Knowing Ms. Duncan for eight years, I knew her heart as genuinely saddened. I quickly raised my hand, admitting my greatest indiscretion at that school. She and the principal walked out of that class and although her prefacing said, “no punishment,” it was the worst I’ve ever been exposed.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment