Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Vicarious Living

Today’s Thought Vicarious Living G. Ward
“All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth.” Hebrews 11:13
Some years ago I sought planning a vacation for my family that would include my Mother-in-law. Unlike my wife and children, my Mother-in-law had not ventured too far from home and I thought it a great gesture to include her on this 7 day Western Caribbean Cruise. After purchasing the tickets, it was important to share with my wife and her mother the importance in being on time. Indifferent to other occasions my Mother-in-law arrived quite early and prepared with the biggest luggage ever.
Upon arriving at the shipyard I began to be fascinated for her (from Jonesboro, GA., to 3 countries in 7 days).
Her apathy prevailed for the entirety of the trip. The exotic food meant very little. The excursions were too death defying. The Caribbean climate was too balmy. Sadly, the only time we could get her to vacate her cabin was at mealtime.
I ended this trip expressive of it being the very last time she would accompany me anywhere. Since then I’ve recanted. I now understand how she did exactly what was desired and more, not what I thought was important to do.
Many have viewed the patriarchs of the faith (cf. Heb.11) as disenfranchised. Their service in earth seemingly went un-noticed and endured tremendous tragedy. However, their eternity most certainly is rewarding.
The narcissism in our society being so extreme demands that we should do what makes us happy, while yet calling HIM Master? Principled living through Christ Jesus demands; “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me” (Mt. 16:24). Happy Monday (I’m still not taking my Mother-in -law on another trip!)!

No comments:

Post a Comment