Wednesday, September 19, 2012

That Name


Today’s Thought That Name G. Ward

“And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.” Acts 4:12

It’s happened! The cat is out of the bag! The attendees of the gym that I attend Monday through Friday were without knowledge of my occupation and my desire was to keep it that way. Not because I’m ashamed of the calling to fulfill, it’s because I need to express the Savior via exemplary behavior vs. promulgating position.

Each day upon my arrival, I seek a treadmill (as there are about 10) to occupy. Interestingly, there are 10 televisions aligned directly above each treadmill. Generally they are tuned in to a news show of sorts. Most share a common expression of disgust concerning the many issues plaguing our society. Although I echo (internally) a similar sentiment, mine can’t be disquieted (cf. Eph.5:1-2). Potentially, I could very well ruin a witnessing opportunity with someone desiring an eternal perspective.

I’ll have you know that on today came such an opportunity. Over the last 7-8 months, I’ve developed a real kinship with a lady who is as serious about her physicality as I. Like me, she is gregarious enough to not be construed as mean, but vigilant. Both of us have experienced tremendous weight loss and have compared techniques as we have diet also. Our routine allows us to finish close enough whereby we vacate the premises together (fully engaged on issues of diet and exercise – gentlemen). On today she asked me the six million dollar question; “Greg, what do you do for a living?” Her astonishment arrived with a smile, yet contained a line of questioning (not exactly interrogative, but interestingly intriguing) that served as no imposition, while yet affording me opportunity to express my disconcerting view of religion. She was utterly perplexed in this view considering I was a Pastor. I neglected to share that she is a practicing Jehovah’s Witness. My experience with this organization is vast and I know of their religiosity (legalisms), therefore (by the Spirit), I know my attack to this must be unadulterated and administer patience (through tremendous prayer). Is our purpose to tear down, or build up? This religion is most certainly to be condemned (cf. 1 Jn.4:1-3). Any religion that expresses salvation found solely in their organization is the antithesis of what scripture represents (Ac.4:12). I’d love to see Michelle’s surrender unto the Lord. Would you begin praying for her? Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment