Monday, April 8, 2013


Today’s Thought “Support Amidst Rejection” G. Ward

 “What then is my reward? That, when I preach the gospel, I may offer the gospel without charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel. For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more.  To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law.” 1 Corinthians 9:18-20

 

It was what I had been waiting for; an opportunity to play basketball on the same team as my brother. He was an eighth grader, while I was in the seventh grade. It was officially time for basketball try-outs. The coach desired weeding out those excited to play in the games, but not eager to embrace the work ethic that would accompany it. We were instructed to run laps for what seemed like the entire hour. I neglected to share that on that day I was extremely feverish and achy. Twenty minutes or so in the run, I approached the coach with my condition. His reply was shocking and un-sympathetic. He demanded, “you can either run, or consider yourself dismissed from the team.” I knew my dream of playing on the same team as my brother was squashed. Upon arriving home it was my mother who noted my condition and took me to the local hospital whereby I was on my sickbed for 5 days.

Although I didn’t make the team, I supported them the entirety of the season. In retrospect, although I was a decent point guard, for that team, I was a better cheerleader. Happy Monday (Go Wolverines!)!

No comments:

Post a Comment