Thursday, January 10, 2013


Today’s Thought “A School of Thought” G. Ward

“I say then, God has not rejected His people, has He? May it never be! For I too am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. 2 God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. Or do you not know what the Scripture says in the passage about Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel?” Romans 11:1-2

For the first two years of my high school experience I attended a predominately Jewish school. Strangely, there was also a great population of Chaldeans and Chinese. The architecture was magnificent in that it promoted a more excellent environment for learning. As I recall it was listed in Time Magazine as being one of the best in the nation. Many are saying, “Well why did they let your dumb behind in?” Well, that’s precisely the issue in Romans chapter 11.

Holy God, predetermined to love His chosen nation Israel, reminded His people time after time of His faithfulness in never abandoning them (Dt. 31:8, 1 Sa. 12:22). Contrary to popular belief and lack of study, we are never declared as the new Israel faction. The Apostle Paul was from the regal tribe of Benjamin as was the first King of Israel (to whom he was named after). These had the pedigree of being Jewish (i.e. born a Jew, not declared one, cf. Php.3:4-6). The facts are clear in Romans 11; Holy God included us (Ro.11:11) because of Israel’s rejection of Jesus. He didn’t  however, reject them entirely (“In the same way then, there has also come to be at the present time a remnant according to God’s gracious choice.” Vs.5).

Getting back to my high school days, I recall my contemplations on cultural and religious diversity and the underlying element of respectability. Mr. Lieberman taught me sociology, a Jew. Ms. Katikos taught me Spanish, a Grecian. Mr. Opalinski taught me concepts in ceramics, being Polish–Lithuanian.

Beyond the first few weeks of attending, I settled in to receiving new friends and instructors the way most would acclimate. I now contemplate my great experience and desire going back. This time however, because God cared enough to graft me in (vs.24), I wouldn’t seek to absorb so much, but give to many represented, what was shared with me.

I love to tell the story

        of unseen things above,

        of Jesus and his glory,

        of Jesus and his love. 

        I love to tell the story,

        because I know 'tis true;

        it satisfies my longings

        as nothing else can do. 

Refrain:

        I love to tell the story,

        'twill be my theme in glory,

        to tell the old, old story

        of Jesus and his love.

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment