Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Today’s Thought “Eminent Dying” G. Ward
“We are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord. 2 Corinthians 5:8
Imitation of Life (1959 film) is an excellent portrayal of reaping a bad consequence for what altogether was delusional for a little Black girl growing up desiring to be White. This girl’s mother was obviously Black, while the daughter’s appearances resembled otherwise. So very captivated by the privileges given Whites, this little girl becomes somewhat of a successful woman, passing as White, to totally deny her Black mother until it’s too late. Her mother dies at the end of the movie. This young lady arrives as the funeral is over and the funeral directors are loading the coffin in the hearse. She wails as if speaking to her mother in a regressive child’s voice, longing for another chance. The closing song within the church is led by the gospel great Mahalia Jackson singing, "Trouble of the World."
Soon I will be done
With the troubles of the world
Troubles of the world
Troubles of the world
Soon I will be done
Troubles of the world
I'm going home to live with God

No more weepin' and wailin'
No more weepin' and wailin'
No more weepin' and wailin'
I'm going home to live my Lord

Soon I will be done
With the troubles of the world
Troubles of the world
Troubles of the world

Soon I will be done
Troubles of the world
I'm going home to live with my Lord

I want to see my mother
I want to see my mother
I want to see my mother
I'm going home to live with God

Soon I will be done
With the troubles of the world
Troubles of the world
Troubles of the world
Soon I will be done
Troubles of the world
I'm going home to live with God
This too was the sentiment of the Apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 5:8. His longing for home was his spiritual understanding of heaven, not earth as his ultimate dwelling place.
As I sojourn through this life given, I too long for home. The many woes plaguing us all become very overwhelming at times. Perhaps it’s just escapism, butWhatever my Lot, Thou Has Taught Me to Say, It Is Well, It Is Well, With My Soul!” Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment