Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Today’s Thought Sugar and Spice G. Ward
“When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things.” 1 Corinthians 13:11
I’m proud to say that my Sister has a birthday on today. There are four of us and we’re all able to recall various incidence of more than 50 years ago (that renders us “old as dirt!”). Amazingly, we all had unique personalities growing up. The sister celebrating a birthday was indicative of the Mother Goose nursery rhyme as a little girl; What are little girls made of?
Sugar and spice,
And all that's nice;
That's what little girls are made of.
As my sister got older all of our negative influences began rubbing off and you began to see some characteristics unbecoming for a young lady. I’m reminded of her early ambition in advocacy. It was Christmas time and my Brother and I received a Mattel Hot Wheel Racing Track with all the accessories. Our neighbors celebrated Hanukah (that would make them Jewish for all my challenged friends) whereby they too received the same. The entire boy faction thought to create a super version of Hot Wheel mania by placing our racing tracks together, thus making a city of fast car motion. Our interactivity (with these boys next door) was daily and so there was no ambivalence on the part of my brother nor myself in taking our track to their basement for play. As typical in that day, we were abruptly called home and prior to our departure demanded our track accompany us, in that it appeared our opportunity in returning would not occur on that day. How many know that amicable is not a word little boys are familiar with? Can you say violent argument? Mrs. Levy, our neighbor’s Mother sought to diffuse that by insisting we go home. You must remember the time; children then listened to adults without question. Upon getting home, our expression of sadness and disgust drove our sister (the un-credentialed attorney) into such a frenzy, that she felt it necessary to go next door and demand from Mrs. Levy that our portion be returned immediately. Mrs. Levy sought to correct my sister’s tone by threatening to share with our parents the blatant disrespect given by our sister. My sister, and I quote, said, “I’ll roll out the red carpet for you!”
Next scene: my brother and I weeping profusely while seeing my sister get the spanking of her life. Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment